Adaptive reuse rescues historic firehouse
“Engine Co. No. 28 had served Los Angeles long and well when it was abandoned in 1970. Slated for the auction block and certain demolition, the firehouse became a cause célèbre for civic leaders and preservationists who took up the battle to save it.”
Originally built in 1912 this state-of-the-art firehouse was one of the first reinforced-concreted stations in the area. In 1979 it was registered as an historic landmark, remaining vacant until 1986 when it underwent restoration and adaptive reuse. To retain the spirit of the firehouse design while establishing a distinction between the original building and its expansion, the graceful solution was to expand the building at its back on all three existing floors and an entire new fourth level was constructed on the roof. Original skylights were moved and reused creating a lighted garden atrium between the top two floors. An interior staircase was added and original details were preserved throughout the building.
Today the building functions as a corporate headquarters, with the inclusion of cultural affairs offices and a restaurant.
- 1992 Historic Preservation Award, Cultural Heritage Commission of Los Angeles
- 1989 Urban Beautification Award, Los Angeles Business Council
- 1988 Preservation Award, Los Angeles Conservancy
- 1988 Design Award, Top Honors, Renovation, Downtown Breakfast Club of Los Angeles
Engine Co. No. 28
Los Angeles, California
Management Compensation Group
Creating better environments
for living, working & playing.